Sunday, January 3, 2010

If you want the good news, skip to the end:)

Beware: extreme complaining below. If you are experiencing any sign of the winter-blues, please skip to the happy parts at the bottom!
--------------
The year 2009 was definitely a trying year, especially as far as medical troubles (and bills). Ethan started off the expensive year with his torticollis (his head was cocked to one side). He had to go to physical therapy for a while to get it fixed. Then, not too long after, he got bit by a spider (so we believe) and nearly lost his toe. That was a pretty pricey ER visit. Then Cassidy decided to flip off the couch onto our window-sill and gashed her forehead open. That was 7 stitches at the ER. Then we realized Ethan needed glasses, and he is not on our vision insurance. Plus, you can't just send a baby to America's Best for an eye exam. He had to see the ophtalmologist. Ouch.
We were really feeling bad for our year in medical bills at this point. Then Cindy had a molar pregnancy, which required many tests, a D&C (surgery), more tests, another D&C, and then a laparoscopy/laparotomy. And of course, more tests. Bleh.
After all this, we had nearly made it to the new year with no more surgeries or ER visits. Then on Dec. 28 Ethan biffed it in the kitchen and bit THROUGH his lip. We finally got wise and just took him to the instacare. I hope when the bill comes, it looks better than all those ER ones!
----------------
I did promise some good news, so here it is: Cindy went to the doctor the other day and they did a pregnancy test, and it came back NEGATIVE!!! I know that sounds lame for someone who has had 2 D&C's, but molar pregnancies shoot out mega-amounts of pregnancy hormone, so this is HUGE. And very exciting. My doctor practically did a celebration dance.
------------
So here's to a happy, healthy, ER & surgery-free 2010!

7 comments:

Erin said...

Cindy, we have had so many expensive ER trips, too. I'm so sick of paying way, way too much. We just moved to where we are, and I just found a new pediatrician who is part of a group of peds who are open 24/7/365 - with a Dr., not just a nurse! They even have an x-ray machine. So if your kid breaks his leg on a holiday (or you think it's broken), you can go to the Dr to see, instead of heading into the ER for a sprain, for which they can do nothing (which I've done...). Anyway, they are the only group in the state who have those awesome hours. I know you don't like to have location on your blog, so if you are in the vicinity of me (I'm not even sure where you are), you can email me, if you'd like more information.

Amber said...

every year we make a resolution not to have huge medical bills. so far it hasn't worked for us. let's hope 2010 can be that year for all of us!

so glad you are doing better.

Anonymous said...

Wow what a year for you. I'm glad things are looking up! Yay for a new year. My pregnancy has had its challenges- I finally just decided to have a scheduled c-section even though I really wanted to do a v-bac (we didn't want me to lose all the blood and have another blood transfusion...) And we had to fight with doctors/anesthesia to agree to keep me awake for the surgery instead of putting me all the way out like with my last c-section. It's a long story but we're glad it's finally resolved and I'll get to be awake for this baby's birth. In 9 days! Anyway, enough about me. Who knew life would be so challenging with health when we are so young? Happy 2010 to you guys!

Nicole said...

Amen, sister! You are an amazing girl with a strong family. Thanks for your example.

Stephanie said...

Man! You guys have totally had a whopping year of bad medical luck! It STINKS!!! We had one of those years with car problems. At one point, neither one of our cars would even start and we had to walk all the way to an auto repair shop to get a part. It was pathetic. When it rains, it pours, doesn't it?! (WHY?) Hopefully you were at least able to meet your health insurance deductible. That's ONE reason, at least, to get it all over with in the same year. :-( I'm so glad your pregnancy test came back negative. I hope you continue to have a good recover, Cindy! We've been worried. Take care, and happy new year!

Laurie said...

I just read through your blog to get the update...man you've really had the year! Glad to hear that you're doing better now and getting the test results that you want. I happy for you that you'll get a break from all this on your cruise too! We'll be hoping for a better 2010 for you guys!!!

Zabriskie Family said...

Hope you have a blast on your cruise. Call us when you get back!